For the Meat Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, peeled and grated
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 pinches dried oregano
300g minced beef
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons red wine
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
For the Cheese Sauce:
50g plain flour
1 pinch ground nutmeg
120g Cheddar cheese, grated
40g Parmesan cheese, grated
9 fresh lasagne sheets (approximately)
1. Preheat oven to 230 C / Gas 8.
2. To make the meat sauce: Heat the oil in a hot pan and fry the onion, carrot and garlic together. Season with the bay leaf, 1 pinch oregano, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Allow the onion to soften before making a well in the centre of the pan.
3. Place minced beef in the middle of the pan and stir to break it up. Add the tomato puree and allow it to cook for 30 seconds. Cook until all the meat has browned.
4. Add wine and cook off alcohol before adding the tomatoes. Leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Finally add the milk, turn off the heat and set aside.
5. To make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour to make a paste. When bubbling and grainy, add 1/3 milk, whisking to prevent lumps. Add remaining milk, a little at a time, whisking as you go. Season with salt and pepper and 1 pinch ground nutmeg.
6. Allow sauce to cook for 1 minute before adding the Cheddar cheese. Stir and remove from the heat.
7. Spoon 1/2 the meat sauce into a large baking dish and place lasagne sheets on top.
8. Pour 1/2 the cheese sauce and spread out evenly over the pasta sheets before spooning the remaining meat on top. Add the final layer of pasta and pour the remaining cheese sauce on top.
9. Finish with the grated Parmesan and sprinkle with 1 pinch dried oregano. Add a light seasoning of salt and pepper. Bake for 20-35 minutes until golden brown.