parsnip and pea soup with walnut pesto
2 celery stalks
4 medium parsnips, or 3 large
4 sprigs fresh thyme
500g frozen peas
1l hot chicken stock
For the walnut pesto
1 cloves garlic
25g Parmesan, plus extra for grating
1 small bunch Parsley (approx 25g)
125ml olive oil
1. Peel and finely chop the shallots, chop the celery and peel and grate the parsnips.
2. Heat the butter and a splash of olive oil in a large, wide saucepan. Add the thyme, shallots and celery. Allow to cook out briefly before adding the grated parsnips. Season with salt and pepper. Add the peas and pour in the stock.
3. Cover and allow to simmer for 4 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
4. Use a jug (or stick) blender to liquidize the soup to a smooth and creamy purée.
5. Return to a low heat, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary but bear in mind you will be adding the pesto at the end.
6. To make the pesto, roughly chop the parsley and blitz with the walnuts and garlic in a food processor.
Then grate in the Parmesan, add the oil and blitz again. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary .
7. Pour the soup into warm bowls. Spoon in a little of the pesto. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top and grate over a little extra Parmesan.